NEW YORK – The New York Mets have laid off two high-ranking employees and will overhaul their legal and human resources departments on the recommendation of independent investigators hired to review the organization following allegations of sexual misconduct against former manager Mickey Callaway.
Callaway, fired in October 2019 for field performances, was banned by Major League Baseball until at least 2022 in May following allegations of inappropriate behavior towards several women who work in sports media, including since his stint with the Mets.
First-year New York owner Steve Cohen hired law firm WilmerHale in March to review the organization and the detailed changes he will make in an email to employees on Monday, saying he wanted ” ensure that our community and our culture will always be safe, and inclusive. The email was obtained by The Associated Press.
Executive vice president and general counsel David Cohen – no connection to the owner – and senior vice president of human resources and diversity Holly Lindvall will both be laid off as Steve Cohen rebuilds the legal and HR departments. David Cohen has been with the Mets since 1995 and Lindvall since 2010. The two will remain with the team for “a period of transition,” Cohen wrote.
The team is updating its legal and human resource protocols to prioritize responding to complaints in a timely manner and expanding the reach of anti-harassment and discrimination policies. The club will also organize regular town halls and question-and-answer sessions with employees to “improve communication and transparency”.
RAYS: Tampa Bay has decided the future is now and calls up top prospect Wander Franco for Tuesday’s game against the Red Sox.
Franco, 20, played for Triple-A Durham, where he reached .315 with seven homers, 35 RBIs and a .954 OPS in 39 games. He was told the news as the Bulls were busing from Norfolk, Va. To Jacksonville for their next series.
Franco, the multi-talented infielder, will instead head to Tropicana Field for Game 1 of a three-game series against the Red Sox on Tuesday night.
The steps to add Franco to the list of 40 players and to the active list of 25 players have yet to be finalized.
Franco is a natural shortstop, but given how well rookie Taylor Walls has played since his May 22 call, Franco will likely spend time on the shortstop and third base at the start.
BASEBALL HALL CEREMONY: The Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony reverts to its standard seating format, opening the door to another large crowd. Officials said on Monday that tickets would not be needed for the event’s free lawn area. The ceremony is scheduled for September 8 at the grounds of the Clark Sports Center and will honor members of the 2020 Class Derek Jeter, Marvin Miller, Ted Simmons and Larry Walker. No one has been selected this year.
Inductions have been held outside the center since 1992 and the largest crowd was estimated at 82,000 for Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn in 2007. The second largest crowd on record – around 55,000 – attended the last induction ceremony, in July 2019. Crowds topped 50,000 at five of the last six ceremonies, from 2014 to 2019. Last year was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The annual Hall of Fame Awards will remain an indoor, television-only event on July 24. Al Michaels (2021) and Ken Harrelson (2020) to receive the Ford C. Frick Award for Excellence in Broadcasting, Dick Kaegel (2021) and Nick Cafardo (2020) to receive the Baseball Writers’ Association Career Excellence Award of America and David Montgomery will receive the Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award last year.
METS SWEEP THE BRAVES: Jacob deGrom put Mets fans at ease with a plethora of triple-digit radiators. Hopefully the arm issues that interrupted his last two starts, the two-time NL Cy Young Award winner are back to the dominant hitters – and the record books.
DeGrom took charge of New York on his return from another injury, pitching a scoreless five innings as the Mets beat the Atlanta Braves 4-2 on Monday to open a doubles program. Closest to the Braves, Will Smith, loaded the goals in the seventh inning of the night, but escaped for his 14th save in a 1-0 victory. Ronald Acuña Jr. hit his 20th homerun and Ian Anderson became the first native New Yorker to beat the Mets and Yankees in New York in the same season.
DeGrom didn’t allow a hit in the first game of seven innings until the Mets outfielder misplayed a ball with two outs in the fifth, dropping it for a rule double. DeGrom threw 70 shots, including 15 at over 100 mph, with two walks and six strikeouts.
“I felt great,” deGrom said. “I think that’s why we decided at this 70-length mark to say that was enough, that we didn’t want to overdo it.”
RANGERS 8, ATHLETICS 3: Andy Ibañez and Jose Trevino hit three-run homers, Kyle Gibson pitched the sixth inning for another solid start and the Rangers ended a six-game losing streak with a win over the Oakland Athletics in Arlington, ON. Texas.
Topsham teen qualifies for Live and Work in Maine Open